Posted April 29, 2023 | Bret
In a major weekend for Kohl's specialists, a record six specialists heard their names called during the 2023 NFL Draft. In a clean sweep, these athletes made up every pick for specialists by an NFL team during the draft, with many others signing just after the draft.
With a winter of hard work, these athletes all participated in Kohl's training leading up to the NFL Combine and NFL Draft. A series of high-level training sessions were held in Florida, San Diego, and multiple times in Texas at the Kohl's National Training Facility to prep athletes for their opportunity at the next level.
Jake Moody (K) // San Francisco 49ers
Moody worked out at the first Kohl's Florida training session at IMG after having an outstanding collegiate career (video below). Ranked as the Kohl's No. 14 kicker in the country in high school and a 5-star prospect, Moody went on to earn himself the Lou Groza Award and became a 2-time All-American at Michigan
Chad Ryland (K) // New England Patriots
Ryland entered college after being ranked as a top 25 prospect in America with Kohl's Kicking Camps. Following four years of solid kicking at Eastern Michigan, Ryland entered the transfer portal and played out his last year in the Big Ten at Maryland. Ryland was a regular on the NFL training tour with the Kohl's Staff and is a true "high school to the pros" story in the Kohl's program.
He spoke on the importance of his preparation in college and leading up to the NFL Combine and Draft.
“Kohl’s Kicking has provided me with the perfect environment to grow as a kicker both physically and mentally. Being able to have full confidence in my ability as a kicker in any situation is one of the main things I’ve developed with Kohl’s over the last four years."
"I’m excited to continue to train and develop with Kohl’s going into the next step of my football journey.”
Bryce Baringer (P) // New England Patriots
Baringer was a 5-star punter coming out of high school with Kohl's, and is a true walk-on success story. After redshirting at Illinois, Baringer left and enrolled at Michigan State with no intention to keep playing football. Baringer has been a regular over the years in the Kohl's Program and has been a stand-out at the Kohl's College Elite Camp.
"Training with the Kohls staff has provided me with the opportunity to learn, work, and grow as a specialist. Being confident and consistent, trusting my training and being able to call on my abilities no matter the situation are all aspects of punting Coach Jamie and Luke have helped me develop over the years."
Anders Carlson (K) // Green Bay Packers
As the brother of NFL Kicker Daniel Carlson (Raiders), Anders Carlson has always had big shoes to fill-- but has never had a problem in doing so. In high school, Carlson solidified himself as the Kohl's No. 1 ranked kicker in America, where the staff selected him to play in the Under Armour All-America Game. Carlson bought in early, like his brother, and has been a regular with Kohl's throughout high school and through college.
“Jamie and the rest of the Kohl’s Kicking staff were huge throughout my high school and college kicking career, but have been especially helpful in the recent months. Between work on the field and film off the field, I’ve felt extremely prepared for everything as I pursue the next level. This journey with Kohl’s has been competitive, enjoyable, and everything I need to perform in the NFL.”
Brad Robbins (P) // Bengals
Brad Robbins burst onto the scene late in high school, stealing the show at Kohl's Senior Challenge (watch below). With multiple 5-second hang times in front of the crowd, he qualified for the event finals, which were broadcast to college coaches across the country for seniors who were unsigned. Soon after, Michigan came calling. Robbins, also Kohl's College Elite Camp attendee, was also an outstanding holder. He held for Lou Groza Award winner Jake Moody through his career at Michigan.
Ethan Evans (P) // Los Angeles Rams
In another underdog story, punter Ethan Evans was the product of Wingate, a Division II school, and has trained hard with the Kohl's staff over the past 2 years. He had a breakout performance in February, winning the Kohl's Pro Combine during a video broadcast to NFL coaches, scouts, and general managers. He followed it up with a few solid tryouts before earning himself an NFL Draft selection.
"I started seeing the Kohl's Kicking staff my sophomore year of college. Within the past two years I’ve made more progress on my skills as a specialist than I could’ve ever imagined. Coach Kohl and the staff saw my potential and always pushed me to get better each and every day. I cannot thank them enough and now it’s time to keep the Kohl's Legacy strong."
2023 NFL Drafted Athletes
- 3rd Round: Jake Moody, K (Michigan) - 49ers
- 4th Round: Chad Ryland*, K (Maryland) - Patriot
- 6th Round: Bryce Baringer*, P (Michigan St) - Patriots
- 6th Round: Anders Carlson*, K (Auburn) - Packers
- 6th Round: Brad Robbins*, P (Michigan) - Bengals
- 7th Round: Ethan Evans*, P (Wingate) - Rams
UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT SIGNINGS & CAMP INVITES
This list will update as undrafted free agent signings and camp invitations continue to happen.
* Denotes Kohl's College Elite Camp Alum
- Joe Doyle* (P) - Texans (Memphis)
- Alex Ward* (LS) - Rams (UCF)
- Jack Podlesny* (K) - Vikings (Georgia)
- Christopher Dunn* (K) - Rams (NC State)
- Chris Stoll* (LS) - Seahawks (Penn State)
- Jake Bates* (K) - Buccaneers (Arkansas)
- Ty Zenter* (K/P) - Eagles (Kansas State)
- Michael Turk* (P) - Miami Dolphins (Okahoma)
- Tanner Brown (K) - Rams (OK State)
- Evan Deckers* (LS) - Buccaneers (Duke)
- BT Potter (K) - Steelers (Clemson)
- Blake Grupe (K) - Saints (Notre Dame)
- Andre Szymt (K) - Bears (Syracuse)
Rookie Mini-Camp Invitations
- Peyton Henry*, K (Washington) - Giants
- Paxton Brooks*, P (Tennessee) - Colts
- Joseph Bulovas, K (Vanderbilt) - Saints
- Brady Weas, LS (Nebraska) - Texans
- Matthew Trickett, K (Minnesota) - Falcons
- Shane McDonough, P (NC State) - Packers
- Jack Landherr, LS (UCLA) - Broncos
- Luke Loecher, P (Oregon St.) - Seahawks
- Jordan Silver*, LS (Arkansas) - Commanders
- Colin Goodfellow, P (Kentucky) - Commanders
- Kyle Sentkowski, K (Sacramento St.) - Bills